Our Vision and Purpose
MAG envisions a world where the planet and all who inhabit it are treated with dignity and love and resources and power are shared in ways that enable everyone the opportunity to realize their potential and live life fully.
To advance our vision, we strengthen individuals, organizations, and networks to bring about transformative change. We also co-create the conditions in the social change sector that are necessary to make this change possible. Specifically, we:
- Provide consulting and coaching services that utilize innovative approaches;
- Design and facilitate labs, movement networks, and cross-sector systems change initiatives;
- Conduct research on critical issues faced by social change agents; and
- Work and learn collaboratively with others who care deeply about the just generating and sharing of resources and power.
In our 35-year history, we have worked with thousands of leaders, networks, grantmakers, and organizations as well as a group of incredible partners to make real change. Our team is passionate, caring, humble, and deeply committed to working with others who share our vision.
Our Approach: Redefining Capacity Building
Capacity building and how it has been practiced and defined is not always enough to achieve transformative change. Strengthening individuals, organizations, and networks is important, and there is growing recognition that sometimes the conditions in the justice ecosystem aren’t right to support transformative change. Conditions such as historical and current structures, policies, relationships, norms, and other forces often times get in the way of achieving the change we seek.
Capacity building must include creating the conditions necessary for transformative change.
There are five essential elements that are critical to bringing these conditions conducive to meaningful and enduring change into being:
- Advancing Deep Equity
- Valuing Multiple Ways of Knowing
- Cultivating a Leaderful Ecosystem
- Creating the Space for Inner Work
- Influencing Complex Systems Change
These elements are not new - a range of people and groups of people have supported their development - and many more are discovering them now. We hold up these elements in our client and partnership work, emphasizing those that are needed most to create enduring and meaningful change within each particular context. We also collaborate and co-create with others in the field to build our collective knowledge and practice around these five elements through experimentation, active learning, and doing.
There are no cookie-cutter projects here. We pull from our decades of experience to build on what works and continuously evolve our approach, tools and know-how to meet our clients in their context in a fast-changing world. Through this reflection, collaboration, experimentation, and application of learning we will truly build the capacity necessary for transformative change with our clients and with the field.
A set of guiding principle ground our work and help to define our unique approaches with clients and partners. These principles have evolved from our learning about what’s needed to create high impact with our clients and to shift our field to bring about the change we all seek.
- Naming difficult and core issues leads to deeper change.
- Equity work is essential to achieving transformative change.
- Building capacity to adapt in complex environments increases impact.
- Transformative consulting means a process uniquely tailored to you.
Read more about our guiding principles here.
Our values give MAG life and breath, guiding and inspiring us in all we do. They are:
- Love & Justice
- Compassion & Dignity
Read more about our values here.