Join our team
Communications Associate (part-time)
MAG envisions a future where the planet and who inhabit it experience love, dignity, and justice. To advance our vision, we strengthen individuals, organizations, and networks to bring about transformative change. We also co-create the conditions in the social change sector that are necessary to make this change possible. Specifically, we:
- Provide consulting and coaching services that utilize innovative approaches;
- Design and facilitate labs, movement networks, and cross-sector systems change initiatives;
- Conduct research on critical issues faced by social change agents; and
- Work and learn collaboratively with others who care deeply about the just generating and sharing of resources and power.
We are looking for a Communications Associate who embraces innovation, risk, integrity, and emergence to join us. If you work in or with the social sector, want to advance social change, or shift systems at scale, consider joining our team.
The Communications Associate is responsible for providing strategic communications, including distributing compelling content primarily through MAG’s website, social media, and newsletters with the objective of raising awareness about MAG’s work and advancing the strategies we believe are essential for achieving love, dignity, and justice for all. They will support the Research and Communications Manager with: growing our audiences; coordinating our content calendar; maintaining effective, up-to-date website, newsletter, and social media content; lifting up the work of our partners and peers; and implementing our brand and communications strategy.
This position requires someone proactive with strong organizational, communication, and project management skills. It also requires a creative thinker capable of working in emergence and willing to experiment and learn. The ability to work both collaboratively and independently is critical.
This is a part-time position, averaging 15 hours per week. This position reports to the Research and Communications Manager. This is a virtual position and the candidate needs to provide their own phone.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify and build relationships with MAG’s target audiences
- Coordinate, grow, and cultivate our email and social media lists
- Execute the distribution of MAG’s newsletter (one per month)
- Project management of timeline and writing assignments, etc.
- Copyedit blogs and newsletters
- Newsletter layout
- Partner with the Research and Communications Manager to identify potential content, including lifting up content from our partners
- Coordinate social media accounts and dashboard
- Share content on social media
- Monitor and engage in conversations with our audiences
- Lift up the work of our partners and peers
- Maintain and update MAG’s website and blog
- Support the implementation of a website re-design in 2018-2019
- Conduct data analytics of website, newsletter, and social media
- Support the implementation of a brand redesign
- Project management of activities supporting the rebrand launch and implementation
- Support aligning communications with the rebrand
- Support generating new content needed for the rebrand
- Assist the Communications Manager to ensure the implementation of MAG’s communication strategy:
- Executing tasks within the communications plan
- Meeting the plan’s goals and benchmarks
- At least two years of experience with implementing and coordinating communications (i.e., a communications campaign, newsletter and social media campaign, website redesign process, etc)
- Experience with branding, including implementing elements of a rebrand
- Knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics
- Hands-on experience with email platforms, such as MailChimp
- Hands-on experience with web content management tools, such as SquareSpace
- Basic design/layout knowledge
- Demonstrated project management ability, including the ability to independently organize and coordinate multiple activities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with equity, race, and liberation (or related areas such as diversity, inclusion, anti-oppression, power and privilege, or cultural competency)
- Strong commitment to the values of individuals, organizations and movements working for economic, political, and social justice
- Preferred, but not required:
- Experience working in a virtual setting
- Active in social media (e.g., Facebook, Linked In, Twitter, blogs, etc.)
- Graphic design experience
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The Communications Associate will receive $21.00 per hour and will be a part-time non-exempt employee.
Please send a cover letter and resume as one document through this link here.
The Management Assistance Group is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in every aspect of its work. We encourage people of all backgrounds and abilities to apply for this position. MAG is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.