Manage Transition & Change
Managing transition and change is at the core of what we do.
As organizations and networks grow, evolve, and adapt, they need to adjust structures, staffing, operating styles, strategies, and external relationships in order to stay strong and effective. At critical transition points, such as leader transitions, changes in external circumstances, rapid growth, marked success, or during times of struggle or setback, we help organizations and networks create powerful new pathways for achieving their goals.
In our evolving approach to managing transition and change, we partner with our clients to:
- Examine the whole system and what influences it internally and externally – organizational culture, the broader movement, the political environment, and much more.
- Identify root causes – the source of the need for change – and how this need is felt.
- Examine issues of diversity and power – holding space for multiple authentic voices and perspectives to be honored. We consider who is and who is not participating in the change process and why.
- Create change in an emergent, yet data-driven way. Our recommendations and strategic questions are grounded in information about what people are saying and doing inside and outside the organization or network.
- Build relationships as whole people, as leaders and as people, paying attention to hearts, minds, and actions.
- Catalyze and support innovative thinking.
- Assess the need for change within an organization or network
- Plan and manage change within a department, program, organization, or network
- Shift organizational cultures, structures, and systems
- Restructure board, staff, and management to respond to growth and adopt new ways of operating
- Plan for and manage leadership transitions, including founder succession and the development of leadership needed throughout the system
- Address issues of power, privilege, racial justice, diversity, and other inter-group dynamics within organizations or networks
- Coach organizations or networks in carrying out new plans for change
- Create space for innovative thinking and new approaches
Equal Justice USA (Stories of Impact)
Civil Liberties & Public Policy Program at Hampshire College (Stories of Impact)